This position assists with the coordination of all patient placement activities throughout the facility. Patient Placement Assistants partner with physicians, nursing staff & other departments within the organization to move patients along the continuum of care to optimize quality patient outcomes and customer satisfaction. They ensure patient information is in the electronic system and communicate with all necessary parties to ensure smooth transfers for hospital patients.
- Collaborate with the nursing staff & others to provide coordination and assistance with proper patient flow and placement of patients from all sources.
- Enters patient information into the electronic system for Memorial Access. Collects basic patient information for RN.
- Updates and maintains electronic systems with current data and pertinent patient information and status. Ensures accurate documentation of patient information.
- Communicate, using devices such as pagers, when necessary to ensure smooth flow and placement of incoming patients.
- Answer incoming phone calls and processes messages via fax machine and printer.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with all nursing units, departments, physicians and outlying facilities to ensure efficient placement process.
- Assists with improvements to patient flow processes. Works with Patient Placement team to identify quality improvement opportunities.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized, multi-task and function well in stressful situations.
- Understands hospital, department, and Joint Commission policies and procedures related to patient placement.
- Proficient with basic computer skills.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 6 months – 1 year of patient-related clerical or customer service experience required.
- Medical terminology, medical office or registration experience is required.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Basic working knowledge of personal computers and Microsoft Office products required.