Responsible for delegation, supervision and provision of the nursing care of a designated group of patients through utilization of the nursing process. Provides age-appropriate care. Participates in research when appropriate and incorporates research findings into evidence-based clinical practice. Contributes to quality improvement processes. Adheres to MHS Mission, Vision, and Values, the MHS Nursing Division Mission, Vision and Philosophy, the ANA Code of Ethics and the Illinois Nursing Act.
- Assesses patient’s health status through interview, observation and physical assessment skills.
- Develops an individualized plan of care with specific goals and target date in collaboration with the patient, family, provider and other members of the health care as appropriate.
- Implements appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to move the patient toward established goals or outcomes.
- Evaluates and documents patient’s progress to expected outcomes, goals on an ongoing basis throughout the shift and modifies plan of care based on patient’s responses to expected outcomes.
- Supervises and delegates patient care tasks to LPNs and unlicensed assistive personnel based on job description, individual capability and patient needs.
- Collaborates, communicates, documents relevant patient information to members of the health team.
- Precepts new nursing employees and nursing students.
- Promotes an environment and holds staff accountable to provide a great patient experience.
- Contributes to nursing research activities and applies findings in clinical practice.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Diploma or Associates Degree in Nursing (ADN) required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred.
Yearly Credentialing to Maintain Current Track:
- Attends all Joint Commission, OSHA and hospital, nurse manager specified mandatory in-services.
- Validates competencies and obtains credentials as identified in unit specific requirements.
- Registered Nurse in State of Illinois.
- Current CPR/BLS certification and maintains certification.
- Must be able to position and transfer an average adult patient and possess gross coordination sufficient to perform other patient care duties as required.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of standing.
- Must be able to perform difficult manipulative skills such as IV insertion and IM injections.
- Environmental working conditions include exposure to blood, bodily fluids and tissue, contagious diseases, radioactive, or other potentially hazardous materials.