In April of 1897, the Springfield Hospital and Training School was founded under the auspices of the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church. The by-laws of the institution were amended in 1931, changing the charter to a general non-denominational hospital, with the community assuming operation and control of the hospital.
In 1941, the corporate name was changed to Memorial Hospital of Springfield. In response to community need, and following a $1 million fundraising campaign, a 270-bed structure was completed at the corner of First and Miller Streets in 1943. In January, 1974, the hospital was renamed Memorial Medical Center.