Status: Full- Time
Schedule: 6:45 p. m. - 3:15 a.m., Every Other Weekend
This position embodies the Memorial Health System Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Courtesy, Quality, and Efficiency that support our mission, vision and values. These standards are evident in the daily work, which includes the following:
- Prepare and cook a variety of foods in quantity as assigned for cafeteria, daycare, meals on wheels and catering events. S/he will batch cook by following recipes and/or production sheets established by the Foods and Nutrition Department as well as cook food items to order from the room service menu.
- Maintain associated cleaning, sanitation, and infection control practices that ensure food safety in accordance with IDPH standards and guidelines.
- The kitchen can be very busy with counts up to 400 at times, so the Cooks on the line must work together.
- Follow standardized recipes and portion control to comply with nutritional requirements and costs.
- Maintain food quality standards including appearance, taste, temperature, and freshness.
- Assist in storing unused food and supplies; dispose of unusable leftovers appropriately.
- Monitor and record daily food temperatures.
- Assist with accurate production forecast by filling out daily production sheets with accurate account of prepared food, and actual usages.
- Operate a variety of standard kitchen equipment including slicer, mixer, steamer, combi oven, grill, steam kettle and hot holding cabinet, according to safety standards.
- Maintain clean, safe and sanitary area following sanitation codes and policies.
- Requires knowledge of basic food safety, infection control and sanitation; and good customer service skills, including service recovery.
- Works under supervision of area manager.
Requirements for this position include:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent preferred.
- Two or more years of food service experience, with minimum 1 year of cooking experience in restaurant/institutional setting or one year culinary training at accredited school.
- Knowledge of principles of food sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures to ensure food safety.
- Medium to heavy physical effort; with ability stand, walk and work rapidly for extended periods of time in a warm environment; push, pull and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Basic computer skills, and ability to perform basic math to compute weights and measures.
- Ability to interpret, understand and follow verbal and written instructions, and solve problems related to assigned work.
- Ability to work well with others as a team member.
Cooking, Prepare, Preparing, Cooks, Food, Foods, Cafe, Cafeteria, Meal, Meals, Preparation,