Functions as a member of the Endoscopy Team, ensures availability of case-specific supplies and equipment and provides physician assistance during procedures.
- Assists in preparation of the patient.
- Assists with room setup.
- Wears lead aprons during radiological procedures. Always wears eye protection and personal protection equipment.
- Reports unsafe conditions.
- Provides high level disinfection of endoscopes.
- Performs as an assistant, anticipating physician’s needs throughout.
- Sets up and passes supplies during procedures.
- Identifies specimens with the physician, places in appropriate container that is properly labeled. Transports specimen to appropriate pickup area.
- Transports patients as needed.
- Utilizes supplies and equipment in cost-effective manner.
- Maintains adequate supplies/par levels for assigned items
- Attends meetings and in-services to further self-growth.
- Completes required Computer Based Learnings (CBL’S) on NetLearning
- Assists in instructing staff, students, and new employees.
- Adheres to departmental/DMH policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Regular attendance and punctuality.
- Unscheduled hours and weekly stay-lates.
- Participation in 24-hour call rotation
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Will complete additional training or demonstrate competency in skills for all age groups and populations served. Additional training to demonstrate competency will be required for specialty areas/equipment.
- Knowledge of anatomical structures and application skills in tissue handling, retracting, clamping, cutting, suturing, and exposure retracting in either the assistant or scrub role.
- Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Monitors the effectiveness and accuracy of surgical equipment and devices for optimum performance.
- The ability to maintain sustained hand and/or arm position while moving the opposite hand and/or arm.
- The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
Education and/or Other Requirements
High School Diploma or equivalent required. Previous experience in a healthcare setting is preferred. Must meet one of the following requirements:
Completion of approved C.N.A. program and passed the Illinois Competency Exam; currently in the Illinois C.N.A. registry or;
Medical assistant certification required or certification eligible. must attain certification within 6 months of hire into position. Acceptable certifications include:
- AAMA American Association of Medical Assistants;
- NCCT National Center for Competency Testing
This position is performed within an environment of frequent exposure to uncomfortable temperature levels, and/or potentially injurious elements or conditions and hazardous chemicals.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to walk, stand for long periods of time, bend and reach. The employee is regularly required to assist in lifting and supporting patients/equipment (possibly 300 lbs. or more).
- The employee will frequently be required to lift weight of 5 to 50 pounds.
- The employee will frequently be required to use step stools to gain height for satisfactory performance.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to possess visual/auditory acuity to meet visual/auditory demands of the job.
- High degree of mental stress.