All Shifts Available
Basic Function: The incumbent will assist in providing access to services provided at the hospital and/or other service area. Knowledge of all tasks performed in the various Patient Access Service areas is necessary to provide optimum internal and external customer satisfaction and provide the opportunity for accurate reimbursement. This position is primarily responsible for the pre-registration and registration of patients at Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital. This position is primarily responsible for the registration information of the patient visit, obtaining patient demographics, third party information with a high degree of accuracy, and may perform financial collections. Other key roles include serving as the switchboard for the hospital and dispatchers for all emergent situations. Serve as a liaison between ancillary departments and other Patient Access Services areas.
- Responsible for completing all steps of pre-registration/registration including patient interview, collecting insurance information, obtaining picture identification and signatures for consents, providing Advance Directive information and distributing required patient information.
- Coordinate accurate patient data collection to verify insurance eligibility and determine financial obligation, which may include collection of copayments.
- Act as the communication hub for the hospital and demonstrate ability to function well in stressful situations. Monitor alarms and weather information. Call and process all codes as needed, and provide ongoing communication support during all code and disaster situations according to policies and procedures.
- Dispatch calls to all call staff including: Administrator on Call, nurse managers, house supervisors, surgery staff, respiratory therapy, and Plant Operations. Maintain records of current on call staff. Answer incoming calls to main hospital switchboard.
- Answer incoming calls for emergency line (56700) and process timely and correctly.
- Answer Stat Code and Rapid Response calls and process timely and correctly.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, willing to work alternative shifts and cover call-ins as needed. May be required to work night or weekend shifts.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable HIPAA, Joint Commission, CDC, ALMH, and state and federal statues, providing required associated literature to patients at all PAS access points.
- 1Coordinate security efforts for ALMH through monitoring of security cameras and coordination of necessary actions with Plant Operations and/or police as needed, according to policy and procedure. Check in and log visitors entering the building after normal business hours.
- Responsible for patient flow in the ED, Diagnostic Center, Acute Care Unit, Obstetrics, and Special Procedures Area. Enters patient information into department whiteboards for tracking purposes.
- Monitors the patient volumes and flow throughout the day, adjusting Patient Access staff as needed. Work with staff and leaders in other areas in order to coordinate timely patient flow and services.
- Coordinate admission and patient placement in collaboration with the Case Management Team, Nursing Leadership, and Environmental services. Consult with other departments to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to patient’s needs.
- Conducts daily audits of accounts for quality assurance and performs necessary action to correct patient accounts. Distributes corrections as appropriate.
- Conduct insurance verification tasks, including referrals and authorization for elective and emergent patients. Check eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, etc.
- Demonstrates ability to be organized and perform daily tasks including reporting and closeout duties. Verify census information and patient data at the end of each day to ensure accurate patient accounts.
- Monitor the patient safe, recording and securing patient valuables as needed.
- Maintain petty cash and service recovery funds. Perform daily closing duties associated with the cash drawer.
- Orients and cross-trains others within assigned area of responsibility as directed and defined by management. May assist other areas within the unit or department, as necessary, during times of special needs or staff absences.
- Greet visitors and patients; answer patient questions (via telephone/ in person) and provide directional information as requested. Contribute to the positive customer relations and work to address any issues that arise when patients are present in order to maintain the positive experience.
- Demonstrates superior patient relations and interpersonal skills; demonstrates an appropriate level of mental and emotional tolerance and even temperament when dealing with staff, patients and general public, using tact, sensitivity and sound judgment; promotes a positive work environment and contributes to the overall team efforts of the department and organization.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
High School Graduate or GED equivalent required.
- 2 years of customer service experience preferred.
Medical terminology, medical office, registration or billing experience strongly preferred.