Collects blood samples and performs other phlebotomy procedures. #cb
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Collects specimen samples from patients of all age groups; observes safety precautions for patients and staff; prioritizes work.
- Labels and records specimens; delivers specimens to appropriate lab section.
- Maintains equipment and work area in a sanitary, safe, and well-stocked condition.
- Assists in training new employees in phlebotomy; participates in continuing education.
- Performs clerical duties:
- Manages the printer.
- Answers phones.
- Greets outpatients.
- Communicates and interacts with fellow associates; notifies appropriate personnel of deliveries and problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Other Requirements
High school graduate or equivalent; 6 months Phlebotomy experience required and/or certificate in phlebotomy from approved program.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Previous Experience – None required.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities – Must be able to read, write and understand English; must be able to communicate effectively with personnel and with patients.
This position is performed within an environment of minimal exposure to irritating, unpleasant, or hazardous elements or conditions.
Frequent to continuous exposure to unpleasant/irritating substances. Exposure to hazardous and/or potentially injurious elements or conditions is considerable.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and move through an office environment.
- Considerable physical exertion, including continuous (70 to 100%) walking, standing, bending, reaching and pushing/pulling average to heavy loads (26 to 60 pounds). Mobility between nursing units is essential to perform phlebotomy and Blood Bank duties.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to work under pressure with multiple interruptions.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
- Must be able to work under stress, to organize work, and to set priorities. Must use absolute integrity in the accurate performance and reporting of results and in maintaining patient confidentiality. Must possess reasoning ability and good independent judgment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.
All Shifts Available