The Senior Health Information Management Analyst is responsible for advanced level problem solving, organizing, training and communicating within the department and organization. Responsible for evaluating the day-to-day activities and task assignments during the Directors absence and provides back up for all tasks during vacations, illnesses, and vacancies. Accurately, efficiently, and independently performs all aspects of Health Information Management processes, chart analysis, physician deficiency, Release of information and merge process within the electronic health record. Ensures the quality and the integrity of the patient information and interpretation of data by conducting Joint Commission, HIPAA and Quality reviews Serves as an informal leader in the department as a liaison between ancillary departments.
- Perform quality auditing of document prepping, scanning and indexing including recording of data and providing reports to management.
- Assist with preparation of patient medical record documentation for scanning according to HIM policy and procedures. Processes electronic images according to HIM policy and procedures.
- Independently review the components of a medical record and identify incomplete components as defined in the Health Information Management policy and procedures.
- Analyze medical record history to determine appropriate steps to merge, switch, combine, or uncombined accounts and/or documents appropriately, which is critical for patient safety. Provide communication to other ancillary departments the outcome.
- Ensure patient confidentiality according to the laws and regulations governing release of information and HIPAA Guidelines.
- Complete focused access audits to detect potential unauthorized access to a patient’s medical record ad report findings to Health Information Management Director/Privacy Offer.
- Complete monthly reviews to document compliance with Joint Commission standards (specifically History and Physical and Operative Note Compliance).
- Verify transcribed documents for quality. Independently determine appropriate changes. Process re-works as appropriate. Provide electronic documentation (fax, etc.) or mail, as appropriate.
- Communicate with physician offices on outstanding transcription issues and delinquency issues.
- Independently evaluate subpoenas, attorney requests, requests for CMS, Public Aid and other to fulfill requests for patient information.
- Ensure the quality of the medical information by verifying the completeness, accuracy and proper entry into the electronic health record.
- Completes system downtime testing, as needed for planned upgrades or unplanned downtimes.
- Completes assigned special projects, including but not limited to analysis of processes, revising policies and procedures, monthly statistics, routine correspondence, or financial impact analysis.
- Plan, assign and guide Health Information Management activities and task assignment in absence of Director.
- Serves as back up for Health Information Management colleagues, including switchboard operator job functions.
- Complete knowledge of hospital, department and regulatory policies and procedures related to Health Information Management.
- Serve independently as informal leader on internal or house-wide project teams, overseeing needs in Health Information Management and coordinating appropriately within the department or with other departments.
- Adheres to the Statement of Values and Behavioral Standards.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized, and function well in stressful situations.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Associate’s degree or two years equivalent professional experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Certification in Health Information Management (RHIA, RHIT, CPHIT, CPEHR, other) preferred.
- Minimum of three years of Health Information Management or related experience required.
Microsoft applications experience required. Demonstrates proficiency in word, excel and outlook.
- Demonstrated knowledge of anatomy and physiology required.
- Demonstrated medical terminology required.
- Demonstrates knowledge of HIPAA Privacy.
- Ability to multitask and maintain flexible schedule, as needed.
- Detailed oriented and demonstrates the ability to work independently.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability as an informal leader and in leading groups.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills