Performs secretarial and receptionist duties in the department.
- Registers patients, enters test orders, cancels, credits, charges, and merges according to physicians’ orders or established laboratory procedures.
- Registers, orders and delivers specimens brought in to department.
- Maintains equipment and work area in a safe, sanitary and well-stocked condition; performs other assigned duties.
- Performs storeroom duties.
- Greets, informs, and directs visitors; answers inquiries concerning laboratory services for patients and families.
- Prints and ascertains that reports are sent as needed.
- Performs follow-up duties.
- Sorts, files and/or routes reports and messages.
- Maintains files, procedures and logs.
- Assists in training new or less-skilled personnel; participates in continuing education.
- Communicates and interacts well with co-workers.
- Prioritizes and organizes workload to promote productivity and efficiency.
- Answers main department phone number. Routes calls and takes messages as necessary.
- Orders and receives pathology specimens when Histology is closed.
- Manages out-patient patient schedule. Statuses patients for phlebotomy when ready to be drawn.
- Verifies orders placed by patient registration for accuracy.
- Contacts outside providers with critical values and questions about out-patient orders.
- Explains to patients how to collect samples. Provides containers and instructions to patients.
- Tracks and follows up on incomplete and verbal orders.
- Contacts phlebotomists on the floor about stat draw requests when Phlebotomy Manager is busy.
- Complete laboratory work queues.
- Assists reference lab with requisition entry and specimen labeling as needed.
- Registers laboratory out-patients when registration is closed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Other Requirements
High school graduate or equivalent.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must have experience with business machines.
- Must have typing skills of 35 words per minute.
- Must use absolute integrity in accurate performance and reporting of results.
- Must be able to organize work and set priorities.
- Must use professional discretion with patient and employee information.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with other personnel and with patients. Job duties require rigid clerical accuracy in the identification and reporting of numbers, name and results.
Frequent to continuous exposure to unpleasant or irritating substances. Exposure to hazardous and/or potentially injurious elements or conditions is considerable.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and move through an office environment.
- Must be willing to work other schedules if needed. Moderate physical exertion, including continuous (70% to 100%) walking, standing, bending, and reaching and frequent lifting of average loads (six to 25 pounds). Mobility to delivery patient reports to the Physicians’ Plaza office buildings is essential.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to work under pressure with multiple interruptions.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
- Must have reasoning ability and good independent judgment. Must be able to work under stress and to adapt to changing conditions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.