Under supervision of the registered nurse, performs tasks and direct observation of patients and colleagues to support a safe patient care environment.
1. Maintains the safety and security of the patient.
- Provides continuous observation and documentation for patients at risk for self-harm, elopement, or injury, as delegated by the RN. Under no circumstances is the patient to be left unattended.
- Instructs patient to remain in bed or chair at all times until assistance arrives, as delegated by the RN.
- Calls out for assistance and/or utilizes call light for assistance in de-escalating patient and addressing at-risk behaviors.
- Observes and reports unusual conditions and/or change in patient behavior or appearance to the nurse.
2. Enforces adherence to infection prevention precautions for patients, colleagues, and visitors.
- Follows hospital policies to prevent the transmission of infections.
- Sets up patient room with appropriate signage and PPE supplies.
- Observes donning and doffing of PPE for all personnel entering and exiting the patient room.
- Maintain record of all colleagues entering and exiting the patient room.
- Assures equipment is cleaned and maintained per policy between patient encounters.
- Assists with coordinating movement of a COVID-19 positive or presumptive positive patient.
3. Promotes efficient and effective functioning of the unit/hospital.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Meets punctuality and attendance expectations.
- Uses designated lines of communication and authority.
- Cooperates with all members of the healthcare team.
- Interacts with patient/visitors and others in a courteous and respectful manner.
4. Performs other related work as required or requested.
• GED/high school diploma preferred.
• Interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions.