Works as part of team to complete daily business office functions including billing, collecting, and interacting with patients. Also responsible for answering the telephone, routing and triaging calls relative to patient urgency. Schedules appointments and registers patients.
- Assists clinic in meeting goals related to quality and patient satisfaction by providing assistance, guidance, and direction to visitors and patients, in person and over the phone in a manner designed to yield a high level of patient satisfaction. Communicates patients’ needs through the tasking mechanism of the electronic health record. Accountable for achieving quality and patient satisfaction standards, including anticipating patient needs, grievances, and service recovery.
- Schedules, reschedules and coordinates patient appointments. Reviews new patient requests. Appropriately triages patients in urgent/emergency situations over phone or in person. Monitors patient flow through reception and works with team to minimize and notify patients of waits and delays. Schedules interpreters if needed.
- Responsible for accurate registration of patient demographics and insurance. Utilizes a variety of external websites to confirm patient’s eligibility. Determines appropriate copay, registration conversation, and insurance to bill based on appointment type. Collects patient financial responsibility at the time of registration, including current and past due balances Determine and provide age appropriate documentation to be completed by each patient. Obtains and validates proper consent for patient treatment.
- Assists clinic in meeting goals related to days in accounts receivable by working as part of a team responsible for several front-line billing aspects which may include but is not limited to, charge entry, charge submission, posting of payments, charge adjustments, and cash management, including bank deposits. Reviews and corrects demographics/insurance errors. Assists in the clinic’s overall financial performance by monitoring accounts for bad debt balances, pre-payment requirements, and patient portions at the time of service, and other old balances.
- Responsible for several tasks related to the paper flow through office. This may include, but is not limited to; working with incoming mail and faxed correspondence. Assists in scanning correspondence and paper medical records and conducting quality assurance and quality audits, if requested.
- Performs opening and close of day activities. This may include running various reports, cash management, and completing required work lists.
- Complies with all reimbursement rules and regulations, including Corporate Compliance and HIPAA. Applies the Minimum Necessary Standard when accessing protected health information. Complies with established clinic policies and procedures and safety standards.
- Manages task lists within the electronic health record.
- Demonstrates support for and participates in accomplishing team goals and objectives.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Previous work experience in a medical office and/or customer service position preferred.
- Previous experience dealing directly with the public in person and on the phone preferred.
- Computer experience and typing skills required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize required.
- Candidates must successfully pass the following assessments during the interview process in order to be further considered for this position: Listening Skills, Data Entry, and Office Skills.