Explains MHS program services to patients and their families. Functions as a liaison between referral sources and MHS Intake to collect referral information, communicate with family members, and schedule nursing staff to admit patients. Ensures coverage for daily patient needs.
- Establishes a close working relationship with referral sources (hospitals, nursing homes, physician offices, families, etc.).
- Explains the home hospice program philosophy, practices, and regulatory restrictions to referral sources and customers.
- Fields calls and inquiries and serves as a resource for referral sources to answer questions about hospice criteria, eligibility and troubleshoot patient care issues.
- Upon referral, interacts with hospice patients and families to assess and evaluate the patient’s social, financial, and environmental situations. Explains hospice philosophy, benefit coverage and eligibility for hospice services.
- Works with the Admission Team Lead and Hospice Supervisor to manage day-to-day visit and admission schedule of field staff to triage referrals and patient care visits based on needs and staff availability.
- Works with referral sources to facilitate and schedule timely admissions to home hospice.
- Participates in Hospice Team functions, quality safety improvement projects, and data collection for Quality Improvement (QAPI) as requested.
- Triage calls from customers and implements necessary communication to staff, physician offices, and patients regarding information.
- Assists with chart audits as needed.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of Medicare requirement, conditions of participation, and regulatory guidelines to review documentation.
- Fields customer concerns and gathers information for supervisor follow-up.
- Performs other related work as requested or required.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- High School Diploma or equivalency (GED), required
- IL Licensed Practical Nurse, preferred
- CPR certification, required
- Prior healthcare experience, required
- Prior LPN or Medical Assistant experience, preferred
- Experience in home health/hospice services, preferred
- Familiarity with Medicare, IL Medicaid, and other insurance requirements, preferred
- Proactive, positive, problem-solving approach, required
- Excellent customer service and verbal communication skills, required
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player, manage competing priorities, and adapt to change, required
- Basic computer skills required; basic excel knowledge, required